Quick Guide On How To Write An Outstanding Psychology Dissertation
At the pinnacle of academic achievement is the Ph.D. or doctorate. This degree takes a very long time to get and is the culmination of all of your academic years. In order to receive the degree, you have to face another foe - the dissertation. This project is a long paper that is supposed to identify and solve a problem. There are dissertations for many different topics from music to medicine and everything in between. Below is a quick guide to writing an outstanding psychology dissertation.
Guide to an outstanding psychology dissertation
- The first step to getting an excellent paper is to choose a topic. This topic has to be something you can easily write and argue about. Here are some ideas to help you find the perfect topic.
- Ask one of your professors, one doing active research would work extremely well.
- Read a paper on a topic that interests you and see if there is any research you can do off of that.
- Think about all the topics you have enjoyed writing about before and try to choose something in those areas but stay away from emotionally involved topics. If you or your family suffers from depression, it may make the writing and research about depression harder on you.
- After you have identified your topic, the next step is the literature review. This way you can identify the previous research done, key terms and other such elements used in the introduction and throughout the paper.
- The next part is to identify the question and its importance. You do not want to go into writing this paper without this identified. You may have your question identified but if you do not identify why it is important or why it has not been studied before, it could negatively affect your paper.
- After you do the above steps and get it approved, the next part is to do the research. This step may take a very long time so you should give yourself time to get plenty of research instead of trying to rush it and not having enough information. It is better to have too much information than too little. Once you have done the research, quantify your findings and determine how it sets with the question you have presented.
- Once you have done your research and have quantified your data, it is now time to write. The writing part will take the most time, and you should give yourself time to do it. Trying to write at least one page a day at a steady pace with breaks will help you write it. It will not be done in a week, but it will be done easily and will be of greater quality than if you rushed it. With the writing comes the formatting and ordering. Below is the basic order of a dissertation.
- Title Page
- Approval Page
- Table of Contents
- List of tables
- List of figures
- Chapter I: Statement of the Problem
- Chapter II: Review of the Literature
- Chapter III: Method Chapter
- IV: Results Chapter
- V: Discussion
By using the above guide to help you measure your time and write your paper you can produce a high-quality psychology dissertation in less time than trying to throw it all together at once.